Acupuncture is very often the treatment of choice for couples wanting to support and promote natural fertility, or to enhance the potential of assisted conception techniques such as IVF. Studies have shown that there is a significant increase in pregnancy rates when acupuncture is used alongside IVF. *
Over the past 14 years I have helped hundreds of couples promote their fertility potential, and supported them through primary or secondary infertility – to conception, pregnancy, birth, and postnatally.
Most of the enquiries I receive fall into 3 categories:
- those who have been trying to conceive for a period of time and are becoming aware that there may be fertility issues that need addressing, and who want guidance about the best way to promote fertility potential
- those who think they may need to accelerate their fertility planning because of age, recurrent miscarriage, etc – and want to re-assess their options concerning medical testing/natural conception/assisted conception/donor egg or sperm
- those who have decided to go ahead with IVF and want support during the process.
Every couple has reached a different place on their fertility journey and my aim is to help:
- explore the primary factors affecting both partners’ fertility levels (medical, lifestyle, nutrition, age etc)
- develop a strategy to actively promote the maximum fertility potential of a couple (through the use of techniques such as acupuncture, nutrition, hypnotherapy, etc and discussion of the various types of assisted conception if required)
- support couples who are undergoing Assisted Conception techniques such as IVF, ICSI, Egg Donation, Frozen Embryo cycles, etc.
Very often, support will include the use of Acupuncture which can help with regulating the menstrual cycle, promoting ovulation, enhancing blood flow to the uterus, and the symptoms of conditions such as PCOS, endometriosis, etc. It can also provide a very positive approach in tackling a diagnosis of ‘unexplained infertility’.
Many couples are now aware that there are particular acupuncture ‘protocols’ which are used pre- and post- Embryo Transfer. Whilst this is the case, it is much better to undertake a course of Acupuncture prior to the start of an IVF schedule, in order to bring the body into optimum balance.
- Initial fertility consultation / first treatment – 90 mins (individual or couples)
- Subsequent treatments – 45 mins
- Out of hours Embryo Transfer treatments by special arrangement
- Fertility Consultations via Skype available for those who live further away or abroad.
“a third of women with a right to IVF are rejected by GPs
who don’t know enough about fertility treatment….”
Quote from National Infertility Awareness Campaign 28.8.12
*Paulus WE, Zhang M *Westergaard LG, Mao Q, Krogslund M, Sandrini S, Lenz S, Grinted J. Acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer significantly improves the reproductive outcome in infertile women. Fertil Steril 2006 May